Stage 1 History Unit
- develop knowledge and understanding about the nature of history and key changes and developments from the past
- develop knowledge and understanding about key historical concepts and develop the skills to undertake the process of historical inquiry
Stage 1 - Historical Concepts
- Continuity and change: some things change over time and others remain the same, e.g changes and similarities in family life over time; aspects in the local community that have changed or remained the same.
- Cause and effect: events, decisions or developments in the past that produce later actions, results or effects, e.g how everyday life has changed over time; how changing technologies affected peoples' lives over time.
- Perspectives: people from the past will have different views shaped by their experiences, e.g different points of view about a significant person or site in the local area.
- Empathetic understanding: developing an understanding of another's views, life and decisions made, e.g how people lived in the past in the local community and decisions they made.
- Significance: importance of an event, development or individual/group, e.g the importance/significance of a local person or site and a personal or family event that has significance.
Stage 1 - Historical Skills
Comprehension: chronology, terms and concepts
- discuss and recount stories of family and local history
- sequence familiar objects and events(ACHHS031, ACHHS047)
- distinguish between the past, present and future(ACHHS032, ACHHS048)
- explore and use a range of sources about the past(ACHHS034, ACHHS050)
- identify and compare features of objects from the past and present(ACHHS035, ACHHS051)
- explore a point of view within an historical context(ACHHS036, ACHHS052)
- recognise that people in the local community may have lived differently in the past
- pose questions about the past using sources provided(ACHHS033, ACHHS049)
- develop a narrative about the past(ACHHS037, ACHHS053)
- use a range of communication forms (oral, graphic, written, role play) and digital technologies.(ACHHS038, ACHHS054)
describes the effects of changing technology on people's lives over time
demonstrates skills of historical inquiry and communication
Key Inquiry Questions:
Units of work
State Library - The Past In The Present
The Past In The Present - Campbell PS, W.A.
The Past In The Present - Learning Map - (Prezi)
Signs of the past around the school - pdf (History Teachers Association of Australia)
ABC Video -Telling The Time (Sydney Observatory)
National Museum of Australia
AC History Units
History of Places.....google "history of......"
updated May 2019